(image via gal meets glam)
in less than two weeks marty and i will be on our way to ireland to visit our dear friends and i CANNOT WAIT. but also i feel like theres a lot to do to prepare and i’ve been scouring the internet for packing and traveling tips. please send any you have to offer my way!
maybe one day i’ll do outfit posts again. its just blazing hot here in the summer that all i want to wear are dresses that don’t touch my body and those posts would get a little monotonous. also, its just too hard to take photos or try and make myself take photos. in the meantime, here’s some links!
- i have these loeffler randall fenton rain boots i’m planning to take on the trip. apparently its not as cool to wear wellies out and about in ireland, but i also don’t want to step in poop or get soaked, so i’m glad i have these not-so-obvious rain boots.
- i’m also obsessively looking for slip on sneakers to take. this vince pair is my number one choice, but paying $100 for sneakers to wear in a place where there’s always a chance of rain is not ideal. i’m leaning towards this steve madden pair, but i really dislike the little steve madden logo thing on the back. anyone have any ideas on how to take that off?
- this j.crew trench coat is coming with me to ireland! i was very lucky and got an awesome deal on it last year end of season.
- still updating my nordstrom anniversary sale post frequently! the sale ends august 6, so theres plenty of time to shop!!
- i grew up going to “the drugstore” with my grandparents whenever i would visit them in cross plains. i have great memories of sharing a milkshake with my memaw here! its sad that places like this are few and far between these days.
- the story of this mom at yoga is SO FUNNY.
- i LOVE the new bravo show “sweet home oklahoma.” if you haven’t watched, please find it on demand and start right now. i literally laugh out loud all through every episode (which makes me look really special since i’m normally watching at the gym). anyways, jennifer and josh are two of the main cast members (and the funniest), and their story is really inspiring. if they can make it though all the crap they’ve been through together, then there’s hope for us all.
- ripped jeans are my favorite jeans, but every pair inevitably ends up looking like a pair of one teaspoon trashed freebirds (this post is a good example of that). definitely going to try this trick.
- i spent a lot of time watching videos on krista’s youtube channel this weekend. this dry shampoo review video inspired me to give dry shampoo another chance soon.
- i am appalled that this many humans exist that think “medium rare chicken” is a thing. what is wrong with people?!
- i recently started following leanne on instagram and went down a rabbit hole on her blog of sewing tutorials. i inherited my grandmothers sewing machine but i don’t even know how to turn it on. maybe i should learn so i can make all the t-shirt dresses.
- i anxiously awaited each installment of anna and her husband’s love story, and you GUYS. its a good one. if you have time, i recommend reading all three parts. such an awesome and encouraging story about following your heart AND god’s timing.
- a bloggers job is to paint a “perfect” picture and though i understand that, i LOVE it when bloggers get real. brighton and meghan both had really encouraging, really relatable posts this week about handling those negative head space days.
- why why WHY do these shoes exist?
- i want to make this turkey pesto meatloaf asap!!!
(most likely my 4th of july outfit. details in this post.)
whew. its been a minute since i’ve even logged into wordpress. i’m trying this new thing where i stop pressuring myself and setting ridiculously high expectations for myself in life. i have an awesome group of friends and the best family and they love me so should impressing strangers really be a priority for me? i realize that the answer to that is obvious, but i’m a people pleaser to a FAULT.
anyways, moving on..
happy weekend before july 4th! here are some great links for your reading pleasure 🙂
- i heard about this heartbreaking story about a friend of a friend and haven’t been able to stop thinking about this family. however, its truly incredible the way the community has banded together to lift them up financially and prayerfully. its amazing what god can do in the light of something horrible like this.
- did y’all watch the series finale of pretty little liars?! am i the only one that was still watching that show?! i still have a million questions and will probably go back and watch the entire series, though its clear from this interview with the producer that the big A.D. reveal wasn’t planned from the beginning which ANNOYS me.
- i just recently started following taylor’s blog and her realness in this post made me wish there was a way to give someone a standing ovation through the internet.
- after reading ashley’s post about microneedling, i actually ordered one and some retinol capsules of some sort. i’m really excited (and nervous) to try it!
- zara is having a killer sale right now.
- i haven’t watched the bachelorette in years, but i tuned in a few weeks ago to see a guy i grew up with perform. i was actually appalled at the behavior of that lee fellow. i can’t believe ABC is allowing him to exist on the show. it for sure confirmed my decision to never watch again and just learn all i need to know from alice’s blog.
- i bought this tie dye free people jacket during the shopbop sale and i know i love it but i’m not totally sure how to style it? i’m open to input!!
- a long time ago, someone told me i should freeze my jeans to keep them looking nice and fitting well. i actually did it for a while, and then fell off the wagon for some reason. i was surprised to see this article last week. maybe i’ll start freezing my jeans again?
- my favorite bralette is on sale for less than $10.
- have y’all heard about amazon prime wardrobe? such a game changer!!!
- in an attempt to take better care of my hair, i bought this stuff on a whim. holy cow its SO GOOD. i run about a quarter sized amount through my hair after towel drying it. then, i braid it into pigtails and let it air dry while i do my makeup, get dressed, and drive to work. by the time i get to work its pretty much dry and looks like i’ve used a curling wand (as seen in this post)! the only downside i’ve noticed is that my roots are a bit frizzy, but i think thats really my own fault for aggressively towel drying my hair? anyways, its great and y’all should try it. and its so cheap that if it doesn’t work its not like you’re out a ton of money.
- an interesting article about money and relationships.
- i have literally been saying for 3 years that i’m going to try bulletproof coffee. this recipe looks DELICIOUS.
- i really should read this post ten more times and then do my own year without shopping. to say i’m addicted would be an understatement.
- speaking of..remember this post justifying why i dropped a small portion on designer boots? yeah so ends up, i’m selling them. my cost per wear in the non winter we had here in tennessee just isn’t justifying them like i thought. so if you’re interested, heres the link to them in my poshmark closet!
the week before vacation always drags, doesn’t it? i cannot express how ready i am to be at the beach on sunday!!! hope y’all have a happy weekend!
- can i just order everything from shopbop’s pool party section? i NEED all this stuff for the beach next week!!
- alice and i visited the draper james store in 12th south last week and i can’t stop thinking about this dress.
- brighton’s closet is the dream closet to end all dream closets. holy cow.
- i dare you to watch the new little big town video without smiling.
- definitely keeping these get out of debt tips bookmarked. credit cards are the best/worst, amiright?
- body image is such a tough beast to wrestle with, and i loved julia’s honesty about dealing with body image during pregnancy.
- j.crew is really on it this season. y’all have gotta check out the new arrivals!! i think this dress is my favorite of the bunch though.
- my sweet friend francesca just started an instagram account for all things essential oils! she’s the one who first got me hooked on the wonders of essential oils, so if you’re interested i for sure recommend following her account for tips, tricks, and more info!
- my current favorite workout.
- following haley’s trip to santorini is giving me major wanderlust.
- i wouldn’t really describe my style as classic…but the new chanel flats are calling to me.
- have y’all ever heard of/played game of phones? a group of us played it at my friend will’s house last saturday night and it was so fun! definitely a great low key game to have on hand for the pool or fun summer BBQs.
- i cannot find a good pair of denim shorts this season. so far this old navy pair has been the only pair i’ve found that mostly work, but i really want a great pair of cutoffs! if y’all have any suggestions please send them my way.
- sweet home oklahoma is my newest bravo guilty pleasure.
- i plan to grab “the woman in cabin 10” for the beach and “the couple next door.” i’ll also probably re read “big little lies” on the trip, too. any other suggestions or must reads??? i read freakishly fast…as in i read “truly madly guilty” in one day 😀
[i totally meant to have this post ready by this past friday, but since life happens, you get fifteen links on a monday]
sorry for the silence lately. after celebrating my birthday, marty and i both got pretty sick, then i had about 57345 things to do last week before spending a few days babysitting this past weekend. and now, i’m gearing up for another busy week ahead as i get ready to throw my girl alice a baby shower this weekend. i can NOT wait to celebrate baby mcflovin and spend the weekend with my bestie pals.
- speaking of baby mcflovin, check out this sweet letter alice wrote baby boy.
- i’m definitely making these homemade funfetti cupcakes that i found on pinterest last year for alice’s shower. SO good and so easy!!
- have y’all been following this fyre festival craziness?! if you haven’t, hallie’s (of among other things) interview explains it pretty well. UNREAL!!
- its a joke that these heinous 90s shoes are coming back…right??
- i’m making this eggless cookie dough STAT.
- if i had the cash i would for SURE splurge on these valentino flats (i don’t think i mention enough how much i love the rockstud, do i?).
- i scored this huge (and perfect) free people tote in the store yesterday for half off, and it looks like its on sale online too! its a great price without the sale, but its just a flat out steal for half off.
- i LOVED this guest post on carly’s blog about friendships. while reading it, i couldn’t help but think about how lucky i am to have close friendships with such wonderful people. i seriously don’t know how i got so lucky sometimes.
- if you missed it on the today show this morning, definitely watch willie geist’s interview with little big town. i definitely look up to the four of them a lot, and their story of hard work and struggle is just so inspiring.
- though i don’t have any children, i so so appreciated erin’s openness and honesty about her struggle with postpartum depression. i, too, struggle with acting like everything is okay and have screamed into more pillows than i can count when i’ve been overwhelmed. i hope that as more bloggers and people who appear to have it all together share their struggles, maybe slowly our culture will change and we can all stop acting like its all okay when its not?
- i was thisclose to buying this shirt yesterday at nordstrom and i’m kicking myself for putting it down. i just think its so so funny and i’m probably going to order it as soon as i’m done with this post..
- i’m glad i’m not alone in not flossing or getting a flu shot.
- following busy phillips on instagram is one of the best decisions i’ve made so far in 2017. her instastories are HYSTERICAL and i just love her so much. especially when she shares realness like this. also, if you missed her “i will not be killed tonight” uber story you must watch.
- i tried on this jumpsuit yesterday at gap kinda on a whim, and was pleasantly surprised at how well it fit. its super comfortable and will be perfect for lazy saturdays this summer.
- these tips for being good to your guests are definitely inspiring me to up my hostess game (also, how good is everything the home edit does?!).
(image from this post)
i feel like i say this a lot but MAN this was a long week. i was starting to wonder if friday was ever going to come.
also, i realize that i say love approximately 76 times in this short post, but i can’t help it. i just really love a lot of things right now!!
- i really need to stop shopping as much as i do. i really appreciated these tips on giving up shopping for lent.
- speaking of not shopping, i just bought this mustache pullover because how am i supposed to not buy wildfox at that price?!
- rag & bone is having an awesome sale right now. up to 75% off so many great things-including my favorite boots!
- i will definitely be using merritt’s tips for trip planning for our upcoming ireland trip.
- i got these lace up gladiators this week and i LOVE them. they’re so comfortable and i’m seriously considering buying another color. i also have these in my shopping cart as we speak!
- i also just ordered these sandals from banana republic’s friends and family event (clearly, i’m on a sandal kick).
- making liz’s healthy peanut butter cups ASAP.
- i am SO into the new FX mini series “feud.” my dad scared the crap out of me as a child with “whatever happened to baby jane” and “hush hush sweet charlotte” (if you’ve never seen these movies i highly recommend them-so scary but SO GOOD). when i saw FX ryan murphy was doing a series about the infamous feud between bette davis and joan crawford, i couldn’t wait. i love history and i love hollywood trivia, so i’m very obsessed. i’ve been reading articles all week about how crazy both actresses were, and this story about their oscars drama is insane. i can’t wait to see what happens in the rest of the series!
- i’m loving the big little lies series, too. since i read the book, i love reading theories about the murder and how the series will turn out. if you haven’t yet, read the book!! the twist is so twisty and so good you won’t even see it coming.
- i really love this neutral look on jess.
- to answer james’s question-YES, i am a homebody.
- i am so incredibly guilty of racking up mindless and useless hours of screen time. really trying to use some of hallie’s tips, starting with putting my phone down and focusing on whats actually important.
- can’t wait to try this strawberry margarita spritzer recipe once it gets warm again (eye roll emoji).
- two of my favorite (and most competitive) friends have birthdays coming up in april, and i’m really considering getting them this inflatable ring toss game for sunday funday competitions on the go.
- this barry’s bootcamp-esque workout is my favorite right now.
(image from this post)
is it just me, or has this been the longest week ever? i’m so so happy its finally friday! i hope y’all have a relaxing weekend. i’m hoping to spend as much of it as possible sleeping and in sweatpants. if thats you’re plan too, i have some links for ya! happy reading!
- when marty and i moved, we opted not to get cable since we rarely watch live tv and almost every network we DO watch has an apple tv app with a live tv option. i was happy as a clam with this setup until i realized that the two channels that show the golden girls do not have apps. i usually spend my sunday mornings watching the golden girls and drinking coffee and i haven’t been able to do this since october and honestly my heart is hurting. thankfully, the ladies will FINALLY be streaming starting monday. thank you, hulu, for being a friend.
- obsessed with this free (FREE!) printable from love & lion for valentines day. i discovered their adorable etsy shop on a late night instagram blackhole and i just love it all.
- anna wrote a very touching post about her grandparent’s love story after her grandfather’s passing. that kind of love is rare these days it seems, and her grandparents story is such an inspiration.
- apparently nashville is getting an indoor drive in theater? who even thought such a thing could exist, but it sounds awesome.
- this bell sleeved button down/leather leggings/loafer combo krista is wearing is my favorite fashion post this week.
- ashley reviewed these valentino rocketed caged flats dupes on her blog this week and now i can’t stop thinking about them! the matte black ones have gone in and out of my cart several times. i just have a hard time paying $100 on shoes from china, but thats probably just me being weird.
- sticking with the rockstud theme, i love these lace up steve madden sandals. i can’t decide if i want them in black or tan (or both :))
- if i had it my way, all my best friends would be in nashville. but because the world doesn’t revolve around me and my wants, they’re scattered all over the place (charleston, atlanta, IRELAND, you get the picture). technology makes it seem like everyone isn’t so far, but i loved reading carly’s tips on maintaining long distance friendships. i intend to find out all of their love languages this week so i can up my long distance friendship game.
- i love the chunky heel on these zara boots. and for $30 you might as well get both colors!
- reese witherspoon and her daughter are twins, seriously. i love this picture of them from the big little lies premiere. also, who else can’t wait for big little lies? the book is one of my all time favorites and i can’t wait to see HBO’s spin on it. not to mention, the cast is INCREDIBLE.
- i did embarrassingly well on this titanic quotes quiz. jack and rose forever and ever, y’all.
- this shirt is currently in my cart at j.crew.
- as someone who struggles with [often] crippling anxiety, i really loved katie’s honesty about hers, as well as her tips for managing without medication.
- i can’t pick a favorite part of this justin timberlake interview. gosh i love him.
- i’m trying to stay away from award shows this year, however, the grammy’s performance line up is just too good.
image from this post.
i don’t know about y’all, but i really could use another good snow day (or 3). nothing too crazy, just enough snow to force us all to stay in and relax for a few days. is that too much to ask??
- did y’all hear that forever 21 is now offering full returns instead of just store credit? game. changer.
- speaking of forever 21, these gucci dupes are amazing.
- i really loved liz’s secrets to a happy marriage. (side note-her little boy charlie is SO CUTE.)
- the asos off the shoulder dress i wore in this post this summer is now on sale for $16 in lots of colors!
- if you haven’t started netflix’s “a series of unfortunate events,” you MUST. neil patrick harris is SO GOOD its unreal.
- loved this rolling stone interview with john mayer about the search for everything.
- really into these elevated joggers mary is wearing in this post.
- brighton’s its okay not to be okay post really hit me in the feels.
- how stinking cute are these valentines day cookies carly made? i feel like i would really fail if i tried, but then again i think these would be adorable for my little class.
- i just bought these boots from poshmark and i LOVE them. they’re a perfect dupe for the acne jensen boot that are so beautiful.
- i had never remotely heard of hygge until meghan’s post. apparently its a danish concept that means a “state of cozy,” which is something i can totally get behind.
- almost made it through this week’s “this is us” without crying, until the sucker punch in the end left me crying. don’t read this mandy moore interview if you haven’t watched the latest episode though!
- political beliefs aside, we can all agree that this is funny right?
- i don’t watch the bachelor, but i love reading alice’s recaps and laughing at that crazy corinne girl.
- i really want to make it to charleston this year to visit my best friend, and i bookmark nearly every suggestion julia makes. most recently added to that list are her 6 things to do on a short trip to charleston.
(image from this post)
well y’all, we survived the first week of 2017. only 353 more days until christmas is here again, which doesn’t seem like too terribly long, which means i can just keep my tree up right?
- if you somehow missed mariah carey’s sh**show of a NYE performance, here it is. also, here’s a great buzzfeed article that perfectly articulates why in spite of her NYE performance, i will still do everything in my power to go see her on tour with lionel richie (spoiler alert its because she’s mariah freaking carey and always be my baby is one of the greatest pop songs of our time and we should all be thankful we have it in our lives).
- i just ordered this baseball hat from nordstrom. i didn’t have to be told twice to buy a $10 hat that will literally go with everything i own.
- john mayer performing one of his new songs “moving on and getting over” at an L.A. show this week is everything. the dancing is too perfect and i can’t wait for him to tour again.
- how to dress to flatter your body, according to science
- the bachelor started again this week. i’m one of four people in the U.S. that doesn’t watch, but i DO read alice’s recaps because they’re the best. i can’t imagine how much i’d enjoy them if i actually watched the show.
- apparently, there’s going to be a $69 flight from NYC to europe starting this year. hope my friends in ireland are ready to host me every month.
- i’ve been having a hard time lately waking up in time to go to the gym or really do any sort of longer workout. if i’m working out at home, i don’t really like to repeat workouts often, and the popsugar fitness youtube channel has TONS of videos to choose from.
- i’ve been curious about the new girl scout smores cookie, so if cookie monster likes it then it must be good. speaking of those delicious cookies-whos gonna sell me some?!
- my best friend and her husband came over for dinner monday night, and i made this incredibly easy meatloaf and raving about it since. meatloaf isn’t an incredibly time consuming meal as it is, but this recipe made it so easy i think my three year old students could make it.
- i loved grace’s “10 ways to be healthier” post. such easy ways to start the new year off on the right foot.
- i recently ran out of this blow dry spray and didn’t rebuy because for some reason i didn’t think it actually cut my blow dry time. big mistake. i’ve since learned (the hard way) that it actually cut my blow dry time in half and i just reordered it.
- i typically hate pink, but kacey musgraves’ living room makes a strong case for it. so dreamy.
- why 2016 wasn’t actually “the worst” and we should all stop saying that.
- old navy is still killing it with the workout gear. i want these herringbone leggings really bad.
- i was looking for a picture for this post and came across this southern living article. since nashville seems to have some sort of cold weather/snow barrier, this southern snow road trip sounds just lovely.